Road Trip and Wine Route in a campervan
October 18, 2023
"The real journey is getting there. Reaching your destination is finishing it. Many people start at the end. Not WeVan"
If there's one concept that van travellers are quick to adopt, it's that of the scenic route! And travelling in a campervan in autumn means you can take advantage of roads that are each more beautiful than the last, offering a mosaic of warm colours and golden light as you pass through an exceptional heritage.
Visit the Wine Routes in a campervan
In France, the wine routes, ideal for travelling in a campervan, are tourist routes created in the 1950s that plunge you into the heart of the French wine regions. As well as providing an eye-opening experience around bend after bend, village after village, they offer a unique way to visit vineyards, combining the discovery of wine, local gastronomy and exploration of the region!
WeVan Tip: to make the most of the wine discoveries and tastings you'll be doing along the way, don't hesitate to ask the wine merchants and estates you'll be visiting if they accept campervan for hire for the night.
Sometimes it's even free, if you buy one or more of their products! A great way to take your immersion in the region even further.
5 Wine Routes to explore on a road trip in France in a campervan
- The Alsace Wine Route: Probably the best-known wine route in France, and the oldest too! 170 kilometres of great wines, incredible grape varieties, special wine-growing features, rolling countryside and picturesque villages!
- The Champagne Wine Route: 6 itineraries to discover the most famous of bubbles! Famous for its eponymous spirit, the Champagne region also offers a wide variety of wines.
- The Burgundy Wine Route: Between Chablis and the Mâconnais vineyards, more than 200 km to explore in comfort in a camper van!
- The Bordeaux Wine Route: Travelling the Bordeaux region means discovering the world's largest and best-known area for fine wines... legendary grape varieties, varied and renowned crus, but also 9,000 châteaux to visit! You can take the Médoc route, which is the most prestigious, and taste wines with internationally renowned appellations.
- The Corsican Wine Route: Between sea and mountains, from Cap Corse in the north to the wines of Porto-Vecchio and Figari in the south, in the heart of unique landscapes, the vineyards of the Isle of Beauty enjoy an exceptional location and fabulous sunshine. To make matters worse, Corsica's cultural and gastronomic heritage is incredibly rich!
Are you inspired by a road trip through the vineyards? With friends or family, there's still time to organise your autumn holiday in France in one of our van hire!
Don't forget that alcohol should be consumed in moderation, and that with a campervan, you also have the option - and the good fortune - of staying on after a visit or a drunken meal.
Article written by Clémence
Explore other vanlife articles to start travelling before renting a campervan!
An Alsatian weekend by campervan
Alsace. It would be hard to encapsulate the many diversities of this region in a few words only. The best way ...
Roadtrip to the Cévennes by campervan
Travelling to the Cévennes is like taking several trips in one, between the wilderness of the Massif Central, ...
The Normandy coast by campervan
Famous seaside resorts, impressive cliffs, charming harbours, bucolic countryside, so many attractive features...